CX #3 Diamond Blackfan

Posted on 7:18 PM by Schottler



Raced in Lenexa Kansas on Sunday in the Diamond Blackfan cross race. A bunch of fast dudes showed up to this race, like Tilford, Butthead, Shad Smith, Jeff Winkler, local mtn bike badass Aaron Elwell, Cameron Chambers, the whole KCCX crew, Brian Jensen, and some others.

After stalking Butthead for a couple practice laps to help discover some good lines and some very helpful last minute secret tips, we were off. Started in the second row but somehow ended up being 3/4 to the back of the field into the first turn, about 6 places behind Butthead. I used his last minute advice, which I am not going to mention, and managed to get myself up towards the front of the pack after about 5 laps and on his wheel. Riders were getting picked off pretty quickly and eventually we caught up the 3rd place rider and got around. With 2.5 two mile laps to go, Butthead sent his bike through some tape coming out of a turn and I went by, waited for a second for him to get back on, and saw Brian Jensen catch back up so I took off. After a couple bad lines and slides through some turns I got some rhythm back and was able to put on a little room. Sitting in 3rd place with Shad Smith and Tilford about 15 seconds ahead, I didn't see me catching up so I tried to keep smooth and consistent. Ended up finishing the race in 3rd, with Tilford winning and Shad Smith in 2nd, and Butthead right on my ass.

Results



The course suited me very well, it was very turny and flowy with a lot of short accelerations. Pretty happy that I was finally able to race well, let's hope it wasn't a one hit wonder. There are 2 races in KC this weekend that I'll be doing, hopefully I will be able to keep it up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment