2009 in a nutshell

Posted on 1:10 PM by Schottler

I guess you can say I learned more about riding, racing, and training in 2009 than all other years combined. Pretty much all of this is thanks to cold forging rides and training with people who have been racing for decades (Butthead, Green Beans, Ethan, ProPam, Tracy, Mike Best, etc.) The 20+ hour weeks all winter/spring and 4-6 hour rides every weekend helped build everything and learn a lot. I can now see why so many great riders are from Columbia.

As for the racing, I picked up a super sweet sponsorship with GT Bikes, which gave me a bike, kits, and a fold up tent. However I couldn't have everything I wanted... most of my season consisted of bad luck... countless flats and poor componentry choice on my part lead to plenty more issues. My first race of the year was in Birmingham Alabama at the US Cup Bump N' Grind, which I finished 4th about 4 minutes behind the leader, nearly missing the start and spending a lot of time on the side of the trail fixing my bike. I raced the Marathon National Championships again in Breckenridge Colorado, finished in 4:29 with a flat tire, 33 minutes faster than last year. My time would have put me in 5th last year, but I ended up 10th. Burnin @ The Bluff with Butthead and Beans was an awesome experience, we were riding away with a 20 minute lead in to the last night lap, which was lost when I broke a chain, ran 4 miles, fixed the chain, broke the chain, fixed the chain, all night lights went out, and rode back in the dark while my team was sent on a search party. Finished 3rd in the 12 hour team, however I put down the fastest lap of the day. The Berryman Epic was the biggest race and win I have ever had, beating a hall of fame mountain bike racer, drank from a creek, new record lap in nasty conditions, and only winning by 10 seconds in a 4:39 race.



Cyclocross went about as well as I expected. I met my goal for the season, won a race. Most other races I set out at a super fast pace only to find Butthead catching me with 1 lap to go. Last year I finished 4th in the Cat 3 CX state championship, this year I finished 2nd in the Cat 1-2.



2010 will be a great year. I will be starting Graduate school in 2 weeks, getting a Master's of Science in mechanical engineering with a minor in material science. My hours at the shop will be cut down considerably and I will be working for the university as hopefully a TA and RA. This should leave me with a more flexible schedule so I can get all the rides in that I need. On top of big hours again this year, I will be doing some weight training and yoga... to help fix my weak core and lower back. Once this issue gets resolved, I should be able to hold a fast pace for a much longer period.

One of these will be arriving in a little more than a month... should be fast.

3 comments:

Butthead said...

I have the jersey.

Schottler said...

I have 7000 quarters.

Post a Comment