Hermann

Posted on 7:09 AM by Schottler

The MTB race in KS was cancelled, so I registered for the Hermann crit and road race.

I was stuck in the office over the weekend, missing the road race, but I was able to work in the crit on Saturday. Early AM 1 hour almost tempo ride, 4 hours at school, then drove to Hermann for the crit. Really happy I got to do it, it's a great way to blow off some steam over a certain stubborn computer program.

It was around 90 degree's, hot. I was lined up at the back and quickly moved to the front and stayed there for the majority of the race. I rode pretty hard, attacking and chasing down attacks. Eventually Austin Vinton (Mercy) was off the front by himself and his teammate (Nick Coil) followed an attack to bridge up to him. I eventually attacked the group and bridged up to Nick and then we went up to Austin, but I was hurting at this point. We eventually got caught and I spent most of the rest of the race in the group, with only a couple more efforts to get away. Eventually Zach Reed (Dogfish), Andrew Coe, and Nick Coil solo'd off the front. I am not too sure what happened up there with them, I was just trying to stay attached to the main group that dwindled down to under 10 people.

At the end of 3 laps to go there was a $100 prime. I figured we weren't going to catch any of the leaders, so there wasn't any chance of winning. I already paid for the road race which I wasn't able to do so I needed my entry fee's back. Coming up the climb at the end of the lap Devin Clark (The Hub) and I sprinted for the prime, which I ended up winning by only a bike length or so. We had a pretty good gap on the field at this point, Devin said we should keep going, but I was blown. We got caught and I tried to recover. I lost motivation after winning the prime and sucked up the climb on the last lap, finished 8th. Everyone beyond 10th place got lapped, pretty insane.

Thanks to Elizabeth Rangel again for taking pictures of all the racers!
Here is the Garmin data. My average HR for the race was 185, crazy! I think the heat had something to do with that. Road-Hermann Criterium by jcschottler at Garmin Connect - Details

Props to Austin for almost winning the road race on Sunday, getting caught on the last climb of the race. Zach Reed (Dogfish) for winning the overall and Justin Maciekowicz (Dogfish) for winning the TT and RR and 2nd overall.

This week is going to suck. My max ride will probably only be 1.5 hours, I will be spending all day/night in the office trying to get results done. Which really isn't that bad since I have signed up for a 6 hour MTB race in Lawrence this weekend, resting is good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment