Boss Cross #1 & 2

Posted on 10:44 AM by Schottler


Raced Boss Cross #1 and 2 in Kansas City last weekend. The courses are always some of my favorites of the year and the races are really well put on, well worth the trip. The competition is always good in KC, so the races are some of the fastest in Missouri.

Saturday didn't go very well. My legs sucked, my back blew up, and my front wheel exploded. Lap 1 I was behind Tilford and Coe going up a steep switchback, Coe went down and I tried to ride around him, but I went down and my front spoke pulled out of my rim. The wheel looked somewhat true, so I just kept racing it, thinking it will still probably ride better than my pit bike. From here on I was in Tilford chase mode and I stayed within about 5 seconds him for the rest of the 1st-3rd lap. With 8 laps to go my back seized up and confidence fell through the floor, I quickly lost my pace and eventually got caught by Coe and Butthead. Rode with them for a bit and got dropped, motivation gone. Then I just sort of pedaled around to finish. I imagine my average heart rate was 140-150, I just couldn't put any power down due to my low back. Most of this was from the running. There was wayyy too much running, the width of 2 volleyball courts twice each lap, that's 22 times to run for like 15 seconds. This made my hamstrings hurt and tight which made my low back seize up.

Butthead was kind enough to glue up a new front wheel and tire I had back in Columbia and bring it back for Sunday's race. File tread Grifo XS on the front and Fango on the rear... sort of the opposite of what your'e supposed to do, but it worked.

Sunday went better. I rode for 1-1.5 hours before the race to get my legs loosened up and had a different game plan. Don't go ape shit the first few laps and casually run through the sand. The start of the race Andrew Coe and Travis Donn took off and I began to chase. I didn't want to bring them back too fast and risk my low back self destructing, so I managed to catch Coe with about 4 laps to go. Unfortunately with about 5 or 6 laps to go we were lapping a ton of Cat 3 riders. This meant that Coe got by and I got blocked so I had to chase again... this kept going on until the end of the race. I kept my slow run plan the whole race, Coe was putting about 3 seconds on me each time we ran through and I had to chase back, this added up to losing about a minute over the race. I know it doesn't really work like that, but I really suck at running. Not doing any cx running training really showed.

Anyway, on the last lap I was glued to Coe and came around him with a few corners and a sand pit to go. I knew I had to put on as much time as I could before the sand, even a couple seconds. We were side by side after the sand pit and it came down to a gravel sprint finish. I had a good line and still had enough left in the tank to take the win.
I don't know what I am doing in this picture.

0 comments:

Post a Comment